Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Tim Hawkinson At The Getty

One of the perks of my job is going to lectures, talks, etc. Today I went to a talk on the new instillation piece that Tim Hawkinson is going to hold here at the Getty.



Zoopsia: New Works by Tim Hawkinson
and
Überorgan
March 6 - September 9, 2007

To inaugurate a series of artists' projects at the Getty Museum, internationally recognized Los Angeles-based artist Tim Hawkinson (American, b. 1960) has created four new works for first-time display. Zoopsia offers playful, alternative perspectives on the natural world. Concurrently, Überorgan, described by Hawkinson as a massive, self-playing, walk-in organ of balloons and horns, will be installed in the Museum Entrance Hall for its Los Angeles debut. Previously exhibited in Massachusetts and New York, Überorgan changes with each installation in response to the site. Typically incorporating household and industrial materials, and often mechanized to emit sound, evoke breath, or record the passage of time, Hawkinson's extraordinary art links form, process, and meaning to create unique and provocative viewing experiences.

I'm so excited! I hope I can hear *some* of the instillation's sound from my desk!

2 comments:

nicole said...

no fair! i need to get me a job at the getty!

Dose Pharmacy said...

nice...